Thursday, December 15, 2005

Frigid

So, I'm back, and my fingers ache a little from all the typing I've been doing for the past week. But that's not what I want to talk about.

For the past week, it has been cold here in the Puget Sound area. I don't mean Wisconsin 30-below-with-a-wind-chill-that-comes-from-Minnesota cold, but cold for the region, enough to send the weather wimps into a tizzy. Highs in the 40s, and lows just below freezing. For the weather wimp I have become, it is time to pull out the fleece and wear a sweater around the house. I tend to like to keep the house temperature low during the day - the Lovely Bride has the gizmo controlling the heat to drop it during the day, then bring it back up for when she comes home - I know she will be coming back because the heater kicks on and I start getting sleepy from the warmth.

But what has been particularly interesting is the freezing fogs that have rolled in. Because of the temperature just hanging at the freezing point, combined with the moisture in the air, we are getting fog in the evening, which quickly becomes water on the road, which becomes a thin layer of pebbly ice, perfect for curling but less than ideal for walking on. It has been a bit perilous in the evenings around here, and the lawn has been white with frost every morning.

In other news, the yuletide spirit has hit World of Warcraft There are wreaths and lights and a device that turns people into Santa Gnomes and Santa's Workshop Elf Gnomes. And snowballs. Lot of snowball fights in Stormwind this time of year.

More later,