Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Squeaker

So I'm flipping between channels the other day, and came across Q13 news. Now this is actually a pretty good local newscast, so when they say something really, really stupid, it merits being noted. The story was on the top stories of 2008, and I thought I heard #5 as:
Number five: Governor Chris Gregoire's re-election. She squeaked by challenger Dino Rossi - yet again, in a near mirror of their match-up in 2004.
This made me blink for a moment, so I tracked it down to their website, where they identified #5 as:
Number five: Governor Chris Gregoire's re-election. She squeaked by challenger Dino Rossi - yet again, in a near mirror of their match-up in 2004.
Squeaked by?

Really?

So a check of the Washington State Election site points out the results - Gregoire 53%, Rossi 47%. In a political sphere where getting a fraction of a percentage point over your opponent is considered a "mandate", I would hardly call it "Squeaking By". I would call it "Thumping around the head and shoulders", but then, that's just me.

2009 can't come soon enough.

More later,