Saturday, April 12, 2014

K is for Krynn

[A note to new readers: I don't have open comments. Primarily this is because I don't want to deal with moderation, threadjacking and blogspam. If you want to comment or correct anything I've written, I can be contacted at the address to the right (there have been a grand total of two such comments since I started this, both of them asking "Why don't you turn on your comments?")] Those seeking discussion are welcome to hit my Facebook page, where I can bust people who start throwing around the furniture, and my Google+ page, where i pay attention to things that  interest me. Note that any other practitioners of the A to Z challenge are more than welcome to drop me a line at the address to the right and I will be glad to cross promote.]

K could be for Kara-Tur, but instead I'm going to do a short one on Krynn. Much is written on Dragonlance, so I'm just going to do briefly, the origin of the name of the world.

All the Krynn most folk need.
Krynn is not Tracy's name for the campaign - he has tended to use the name Ansalon when talking about the location, which is the continent that contained the epic. And given the traverse of the original trilogy, its a perfect and applicable name and I use it myself but early on there was no name for the world itself.

The idea of having a planetary name and then a continental name probably goes back to Greyhawk (campaign) which was set in the Flaeness (continent) which is on Oerth (world). That would drive the Dragonlance (campaign)/Ansalon (continent)/Krynn (world) trichotomy, and later the Forgotten Realms (campaign)/Faerun (continent) /Abeir-Toril (world) arrangement.

But for the name itself? Well, my younger brother married a young woman named Corinne. Playing around with the word, changing the C to a K, collapsing it into one word, and swapping out a vowel, double a consonent, I get Krynn.

So that's the secret origin of Krynn. My sister-in-law. Heck of an anniversary gift.

More later,