Sunday, June 05, 2005

Our Chi Is Mighty

Though I will admit that I look like James Bond villain in the picture below, with the Lovely Bride as my villainous and brilliant chief scientist, actually it is the pair of us in our Tai Chi uniforms:

Mads

The occasion was "A Glimpse of China - Seattle Chinese Art and Culture Festival" at the Seattle Center House. For those of you not from the area, the Seattle Center is Seattle's chief cultural hub - the original site of the 1964 World's Fair and still-home of Seattle landmark, the Space Needle. The Center is the site of the ballet, opera house, several theater companies, the Science Museum, the Experience Music Project, and Key Arena (home of the basketball champions Seattle Storm, and, oh yeah, the Sonics).

Anyway, about 20 of us from the Chinese Wushu and Tai Chi Academy were performing the 24-form in our white silks, and we held together pretty well. Our Chi was mighty, and no one fell over. I don't have any photos of our performance, because I was repulsing the monkey with the rest of the group. When the photos show up at the academy's site, I will provide a link.

But the stars of the presentation were not us oldtimers, but the Jedi Younglings:

Youngsters

The kids performed some amazing moves, are more limber than I ever was, and, oh yeah, have cooler uniforms.

Not that I'm jealous, mind you. For such feelings lead to the dark side.

More later