Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Open Call for a Readers' Theater

Folks,

Despite my best intentions, I have written a play. What's more, I have scheduled a reading of this play for the Seattle Playwrights Studio in Burien, Washington, on the first Monday of December, 2017.

And I need people to read the play. Out loud. In front of an audience.

Here are the details:

The play is called "Human Resources". It's a corporate comedy. Modern, not fantasy, not science fiction. Not my standard sort of fare.

There are four roles, plus someone to read stage directions. I may do the stage directions if I can't find someone for the task.

The characters are:
                Grace - Female, mid-thirties, receptionist, earth mother type.
                Bob - Male, Late forties, sales, bombastic jerk.
                Angela - Female, early forties, executive, angel of death
                Peter - Male, twenties, engineering, poor damned soul.

IMPORTANT: There's no money in this. I'm still trying to figure out how to get paid myself. I may have found a type of writing that pays less well than fantasy adventure stories. I can't even claim this will give you exposure.

The reading will be December 4th, first Monday of the Month, at the Burien Actor's Theater in Burien (that's south of Seattle, west of the airport) at 7 PM. You'll have music stands for the play, and chairs (I don't want anyone except the stage direction guy standing for the duration of the play). Play currently clocks in at an hour and half. Add a fifteen minute intermission. No blocking, no costumes, no big production.

What I need from you:
  •  You read the play in advance. I've watched a couple of these that were cold reads. It did not go well.
  •  We do a table read (maybe) before the performance. Everyone gets comfortable with each other. Get some of the timing down (some characters interrupt each other). We may do this at a restaurant or at the house. I will feed you (which is NOT the same thing as paying you).
  • We show up at 7 at the Burien Actor's Theater (parking is no problem). It will likely be a small crowd. We may outnumber the audience.
  • We read the play and solicit feedback.
  • I tell people you are wonderful on my small scrap of social media. 
Still interested? Here's what I'm looking for.
  • You're in the Seattle area (well, duh). Better yet, you're in the southern part of Seattle, because it’s a schlep to get down there.
  • You've done this before. Actors, readers, streamers, people who have made presentations.Good voices.
  • Did I mention that none of us get paid for this?
If, after all this, you ARE STILL interested, do following:

Send me an email at the grubbstreet@comcast.net address. Tell me what role you want. Send picture if I don't know you personally. I will respond before the end of October.

Hey kids, let's put on a show!