Sunday, July 31, 2005

Exhaustion

This is probably the longest time so far without any posting with me still being in town. Quite simply, my schedule has been knocked askew by the new gig, plus getting all the old gigs out of the way at the same time. I tend to rise at 6, get to work by 7, leave 4ish, home by 5 or 6. devote a few hours to writing and dinner, then crash early to repeat the process. This has resulted in me catching up on my sleep on Saturday morning, and with less-then-productive weekends.

There have been casualties. I already bailed out of some large projects that were in the offing (wisely, as it turned out - I can barely get my small stuff in line). My World of Warcraft characters languish as my friends' second collection of characters are catching up and passing me. An industry mailing list I'm on has changed formats and I never bothered to follow it. My regular mail is piling up, unanswered. I generally have managed to keep something a social life (Tai Chi on Wednesday, D&D group on Thursday), but missed the most recent poker game from sheer exhaustion.

And there's stuff to talk about. They found a tenth planet (which, if I seem to remember, we've found two or three times in the last decade alone). They tested a sasquatch hide and found it to be a bison. Not content just to get its primary back, the state GOP declared you could only be in their primary if you got a certain percentage of the vote in its conventions (this was overturned, but still that is pretty durned insecure). And there is a kerfuffle about an extremely violent video game that got kicked up a notch when it was "discovered" you could unlock some lame, demeaning sex to go with the lame, demeaning violence. One take on the matter is here, while a counterpoint is here.

Oh, and the GWOT (Global War on Terror) is over, replaced in official parlance with GSAVE, which is the Global Struggle Against Violent Extremism. Just in case you think people have been sitting on their hands about this. Now, Global Struggle Against Violent Extremism is both more acurate than the old term as well as more flexible (it doesn't require we use the military every bloody time). But as an acronym, it's up there with Carter' energy program, the Moral Equivalent of War (MEOW).

In the mean time, I've got a lot going on, and am in the weeds until I get a few of the freelance projects out of my life.

More later, probably.