Thursday, October 01, 2009

Hit the Bleach

As anyone who looks at the nearby author photo knows, I am not a vain individual. And yet, I am about to start bleaching my teeth.

Here's the whys and wherefores. As a young man, I lost a front tooth in a caving accident (I caught a hard-hat in the face). I had a root canal and a crown installed, which I replaced in the early eighties (and resolved never to bite down on beef jerky again). Now, twenty plus years later, the rest of my teeth have aged and yellowed a bit, but the crown is still near its original color. So it is obvious, particularly in recent photos.

So I've been talking about this with my dentist. Side note here - My dentist is Dr. Jay Deiglmeier, DDS, located in the Panther Lake Professional Building on 208th Street in Kent. My dental hygienist is Bernadette, and I've been with them for ten years, since coming out here, and they are both incredibly warm, personable, and professional. So I trust them.

Anyway, for the past year or so, I've been edging up to the idea of bleaching my teeth, a process where you put fitted plate in your mouth for an hour or so for twenty days, and the bleach on that plate lightens your enamel. This is not an over-the-counter operation, but something done with a dentist's oversight and input. So I finally decided to pull the trigger and give it a shot.

As with all things, I will post further as we go along. But right now, it feels odd to have embarked on this new course.

Who knows, maybe I'll start wearing socks that match next.

More later,