Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Gaming (and Writing) News

Item One: The Origins Award Nominations have been posted, and I am shocked - shocked and surprised - that things that I like are not on the list. I must therefore organize a take-no-prisoners campaign to create a slate of my own to ... wait a minute. Hang on. No, no, actually it looks like a real good year, and there is a lot of stuff that I like there, and a lot of people whose work I respect who are being recognized for their efforts.

Nevermind. Carry on.

Item Two: Fellow Alliterate Will McDermott has a new novel, Nature of the Beast, that is already showing up (although Amazon is giving it a drop date of next week). Nature of the Beast is set in the universe of Mage Wars, a cool boardgame that combines concepts of collectible card games with miniatures battles.

Item Three: Fellow ArenaNet writer Angel McCoy is launching a kickstarter for her new magazine, Another Dimension. In addition to being a mighty fine writer, Angel has for the past few years been running the Wily Writer e-zine (and yeah, I wrote a story for her back in the early years). If you are a fan of horror in the Twilight Zone mode, check it out.

And Items Four and Five: And I would be remiss not to point out that former ArenaNet Community Coordinator Donna Prior is in the waning hours of  HEr kickstarter for Orcacon, a convention up in Everett. Similarly, woe to me if I failed to indicate that puzzle-master Mike Selinker has launched an kickstarter for his new Apocrypha Adventure Card Game. Yes, they've made the base numbers, but still are worth checking out!

More later,