Friday, October 21, 2016

The Political Desk: What You Need to Know

What, we're back? I thought I just left this, like, a couple months ago. Look, there isn't even much dust on the keys.

Oh, very well. In Washington State, the massive Voters' Guides have landed and the ballots are en route. As for seasons previously, I will go down my lists, with a healthy warning that I tend to veer to the left. My recommendations from the primary are found earlier in this blog, and will be summarized in this space where appropriate. The results from the primary are here. And I will be honest, one or two of them may change (I know, I'm just trying to build suspense), but this is a starting point.

What ISN'T on the previous postings are the various initiatives that are being put up. There is a healthy crop this year, and they bear some examination.

Now, the big thing is, don't take my word for stuff. Check around. Here are some other people you want to be paying attention to, particularly for the stuff that's not on my particular ballot:

The big thing is the Voter's Guide. The Washington Secretary of State site involves trading information for a personalized version, which ruffles my feathers just a bit, but the King County version listing all candidates for all offices is here and ballot measures is here.

The Seattle Times has moved from conservative to positively centrist in a lot of it outlooks. It still grouses about stuff, but is worth reading and considering.

The Stranger Election Board got down to cases this time and produced a long article on its recommendations, which makes up for some past sins. Still rude and crude and equipped with a ever-deepening bag of invectives to throw at Mr. Trump and initiative maven/favorite pinata Tim Eyman, they get into the weeds on the initiatives and are worth a read.

Voting for Judges concentrates on one thing, and does one thing well - that's the elected judges of Washington State. As noted previously, they do a good job.

The Municipal League of King County rates the candidates on their experience and responses to the a survey. They don't do judges, and that makes them a nice complement to the previous post.

There are others: The Seattlish blog (which includes a few ex-Stranger people) has gone on at length in a lot of races. The Progressive Voters' Guide is here.  Crosscut has weighed in with an overview of the ballot. Others will show up as we go along and I'll add them if they have something to say.

So buckle up, buttercup, and we'll get this show on the road. Remember, I am doing my research and providing my two cents on this, and recommend you check other sources in coming to your own conclusions. I also strongly recommend you vote, regardless of your political persuasions.

More later,